A member of
Laid to Waste follows on from In a State of Uncertainty and adds more information on the failure to manage Iraq's DU contamination adequately. For the first time the report reveals US strike coordinates, finding that DU was used against unmounted troops and soft targets, in breach of US legal guidelines. The report also considers international standards for radioactive waste management and how these standards were not applied to DU contamination in Iraq.
As Iraq calls for US airstrikes in its fight against ISIL, a new report from PAX shows that the legacy of the use of DU in 1991 and 2003 shows no sign of being resolved.
Last month ICBUW Coordinator Doug Weir spoke on depleted uranium weapons at the Finnish Social Forum in Helsinki.
The US Army has awarded a US$12m contract to defence contractor General Dynamics for the demilitarisation and disposal of 78,000 ageing DU tank rounds as new rounds are added to its war reserves.
Spiralling rates of birth defects in Iraq have been hitting the headlines for over ten years yet barely anything has been done about it. Now is the time to say enough is enough and Act4Iraq
- The US Army has awarded a US$12m contract to defence contractor General Dynamics for the demilitarisation and disposal of 78,000 ageing DU tank rounds as new rounds are added to its war reserves.9 May 2014 - ICBUW
- The European Parliament has long supported a global moratorium on the use of depleted uranium weapons and with a fifth United Nations General Assembly resolution on the topic approaching this autumn, the parliament is growing increasingly vocal.12 April 2014 - Doug Weir
- The European Parliament has called on the EU's Council of Ministers to ensure that all member states support this autumn's UN General Assembly resolution on DU.9 April 2014 - ICBUW
- Wondering how your government votes on DU resolutions at the UN? Then check out this map based on EU member state positions in 2012.9 April 2014 - ICBUW
- ICBUW present on why DU needs to be resolved and possible approaches at a side event during the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons.9 April 2014 - ICBUW
- In a wide-ranging resolution on Iraq, the European Parliament has called on EU member states to develop a common position in favour of a ban on DU weapons, support affected communities and decontamination.20 March 2014 - ICBUW
- Following a global Day of Action event last November, where PAX’s Wim Zwijnenburg briefed members of the European Parliament’s Committee on Iraq, a cross party group of MEPs have submitted a question to the EU’s foreign affairs chief Cathy Ashton.14 March 2014 - ICBUW
- The announcement by the Scottish government that the MoD will no longer be exempt from environmental regulations governing its nuclear sites in Scotland could have major implications for the future testing of depleted uranium (DU) weapons at the Dundrennan Range in Kirkcudbright, Dumfries and Galloway.13 March 2014 - Rachel Thompson