Introduction | News
| Information | Resources
| Affiliate | Action
| Links | Contact
International Conference in Gijon,
Spain, Nov 24 / 25
Another Anti-DU conference in Spain was
attended by a large number of delegates, including many of the speakers
who had attended the CADU Conference plus other speakers such as Ramsey
Clark. It was organised by the Arab Cause Solidarity Committee in the
frame of the Spanish Campaign for Lifting the Sanctions on Iraq. The Final
Declaration issued at the end of the conference had the following demands:
* That munitions and military equipment made with DU be considered as
NON-conventional weapons highly dangerous to the health of peoples and
* The use of munitions made with DU be considered as war crime and a crime
against humanity, strongly punishable by International Law.
* Placing an International ban on the Manufacturing, Storage, Marketing,
Possession, testing and Using of DU munitions and all types of military
equipment made with DU.
* The destruction of all types of munitions and military equipment made
with DU, putting the waste into safe storage.
* The decontamination of areas polluted through the use of DU munitions
and equipment both near places of manufacturing and testing of DU and
in battle fields where it has been used, in particular the Gulf and the
Balkan regions, specifically in Iraq and Yugoslavia.
* That the International community provides technical and health assistance
both to Iraq and Yugoslavia. This assistance is meant to help all those
affected by contamination resulting from the use of DU munitions.
* That the U.S. and British Governments, and all other NATO members provide